KoKo NYC at your school!
Our in-school enrichment classes help students rediscover the excitement of science through the process of exploration.
- All classes are hands-on and goal centered.
- We create a supportive learning environment where students feel empowered to develop their technological skills.
- We utilize the interests of each student in the class to design technology projects that express their unique viewpoints and address issues that are important to them.
In each class, students will take apart everyday objects such as printers, cameras and blenders, examine their inner workings, and then utilize their components to build something new; perhaps something that has never existed before!
- Students will gain a deeper understanding of computer languages and physical computing in areas such as programming, coding and engineering through artistic approaches that facilitate new perspectives.
This simple structure works to great effect because the personal interests of each student is at the center of their learning process.
- This helps them to make emotional connections between the technology they are exploring and their personal lives as they design new inventions geared towards issues and challenges they perceive in their communities.
- Once those connections are made, we find that students learn voluntarily because the projects are coming from them.
- Examples of past projects have included a drawing machine for disabled artists, a rainbow flag that lights up to show support for the LGBT community and a robot that helps pick up litter.
Although our class setting is relaxed and fun, we are always managing the classroom and keeping the class on track by providing structures such as “do now” sheets at the beginning of the class and competitive elements in which students team up in groups, later presenting final projects to the larger class.
Each group will design new technology that will be of help to someone in their community. The class will vote on one group to represent their school at the NYC Emoti-Con! Conference in June.